The Game Boy Camera (GBC) or Pocket Camera as released in Japan is an accessory for the Nintendo Game Boy handheld console. This wiki is dedicated to its history, technical details, and preservation of documentation. This wiki also includes and useful guides and tips on using the device. This wiki is an initiative by the Game Boy Camera Club discord.
Game Boy Camera
Released on February 21, 1998 in Japan as the Pocket Camera and was available in four colors: ● Red, ● Green, ● Yellow, and ● Atomic Purple. North American release was on June 1, 1998 and European release on June 4, 1998. The international release omitted Atomic Purple and was available in ● Red, ● Green, ● Yellow, and ● Blue. A Legend of Zelda limited edition (2,000 units) ● Gold Game Boy Camera was available via Nintendo Power supplies catalog telephone order in the US.
Using the Game Boy Camera
Upgrades and modifications
Custom ROM / ROM Hacks
2bit PXLR Studio- Complete replacement software for the Game Boy Camera. Gives access to adjust all available attributes of the camera sensor. The newest builds are currently available at a separate work in progress repo.
Tool to inject your own frames in the original ROM
How to replace the B Album photos in the original ROM
Game Boy Printer
In the Media
- Review on Inputmag.com: An extended review of the Game Boy Camera in 2021.
- Inputmag.com Tap: Article about people who use the Game Boy Camera in 2021.
- Gamerant.com: Short article featuring photos of some of the members of our community.
- Presentation for Hackerspace: Presentation held in April 2019 at Chaostreff Dortmund
- Game Boy Camera Club discord — Primary community for Game Boy Camera enthusiasts. Learn and get help related to all current developments.
- GameBoyManiac.com — Blog with useful articles on using the Game Boy Camera.
- Game Boy Camera Telegram — Not really active but still available
- Links to Instagram accounts